Apple’s latest iPhone 8 and iPhone X are both stunning, innovative products that offer users a lot of new upgrades and features. Tech sites and review articles can overwhelm you with statistics and technical talk, but we’ll lay out the most important information at a glance.
- Display: Both the iPhone 8 (4.7-in. display) and iPhone 8 Plus (5.5-in. display) have been upgraded with True Tone support.
- Processor: A six-core A11 Bionic chip is built into both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, which Apple says is the smartest, most powerful chip ever introduced in a smartphone.
- Wireless charging: Apple users will be able to charge iPhones, AirPods, and Apple Watches by using a wireless charging mat called AirPower.
- Camera: Apple upgraded its’ cameras with better sensors, a new image signal processor, and new pixel processing techniques for sharpness pixel texture. Apple has also implemented hardware-enabled multi-band noise reduction, deeper pixels, and new color filters in the cameras.
- Glass body: The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are similar visually to previous-generation devices, but what sets the phones apart from their predecessors, is the new glass body and aluminum frame. Unlike the iPhone X (see below), the Home button is still included.
A new generation of the iPhone and “the biggest leap forward since the original iPhone,” according to Apple CEO, Tim Cook.
- Facial recognition: To unlock your phone, all you need to do is look at the camera. Some are reluctant to accept this technology, but according to Apple’s Senior VP, Philip Schiller, “The chance of a random person unlocking the iPhone X with Face ID is 1 in 1 million. The same chance with Touch ID is 1 in 50,000.”
- No Home button: The iPhone X is the first iPhone that does not have a Home button or Touch ID. Users need to look directly at the phone to unlock it ー every time.
- Animoji: The same technology behind Apple’s “true depth camera system” is responsible for Animoji, animated emoji that imitate your facial expressions.
- Edge to edge OLED screen: Industry leaders everywhere are claiming that the iPhone X is Apple’s most impressive and futuristic phone visually speaking. The phone boasts the highest resolution and pixel density ever introduced in an iPhone. It also supports HDR, wide color, 3D Touch, and True Tone.
- Wireless charging: Along with the iPhone 8, the iPhone X will also be able to charge wirelessly.
- Battery life: Apple has stated that the iPhone X has an additional two hours of battery life on the iPhone 7. The phone is claimed to support 12 hours of surfing the web and up to 14 hours of taking calls.
- Camera: The iPhone X features a vertical 12-megapixel dual-lens camera display with an f1.8 wide angle lens and a f/2.4 aperture telephoto lens. Both lenses support optical image stabilization and offer upgrades like a new color filter, deeper pixels, better low light zoom, and improved video stabilization. There’s also a new quad-LED True Tone flash which offers twice the uniformity of light.